Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Style does not define you...

A friend asked me a thought provoking question the other day, it was something along these lines: Are you confused who you are? This was done in the most loving way. In a puzzled tone I asked why would you say something like that. She continued by saying that I have many different styles, referring to the way I dress, and that I must be confused in my identity. We continued to talk about this and I realized I do dress in many "categories." Sometimes I lean toward very girly with my flowery dress and mint green heels, while another day I may be rocking a leather jacket with studded glitter sneakers and then a totally different day I may decide to wear my flat-billed hat with high top Adidas. Its not that I am confused in who I am. My clothes do not represent an identity crisis, on the contrary, my clothes actually represent an identity confidence. I have found such a confidence in Christ that my style does not define me. Don't get me wrong there are still days where I struggle with who God created me to be, but He has shown me so much. And by Him teaching me who I am in Him, I can dress in freedom. I don't have to worry about if I change my style that it will change me. I know who I am in Christ:

I am complete in Him Who is the Head of all principality and power (Colossians 2:10).
I am alive with Christ (Ephesians 2:5).
I am free from the law of sin and death (Romans 8:2).
I am born of God, and the evil one does not touch me (1 John 5:18).
I am holy and without blame before Him in love (Ephesians 1:4; 1 Peter 1:16).
I am God’s child for I am born again of the incorruptible seed of the Word of God, which lives and abides forever (1 Peter 1:23).
I am God’s workmanship, created in Christ unto good works (Ephesians 2:10).
I am a new creature in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17).
I am a spirit being alive to God (Romans 6:11;1 Thessalonians 5:23).
I am a believer, and the light of the Gospel shines in my mind (2 Corinthians 4:4).
I am a doer of the Word and blessed in my actions (James 1:22,25).
I am an overcomer by the blood of the Lamb and the word of my testimony (Revelation 12:11).
I am an ambassador for Christ (2 Corinthians 5:20).
I am part of a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a purchased people (1 Peter 2:9).
I am the righteousness of God in Jesus Christ (2 Corinthians 5:21).
I am the temple of the Holy Spirit; I am not my own (1 Corinthians 6:19).
I am the light of the world (Matthew 5:14).
I am His elect, full of mercy, kindness, humility, and longsuffering (Romans 8:33; Colossians 3:12).
I am forgiven of all my sins and washed in the Blood (Ephesians 1:7).
I am delivered from the power of darkness and translated into God’s kingdom (Colossians 1:13).
I am redeemed from the curse of sin, sickness, and poverty (Deuteronomy 28:15-68; Galatians 3:13).
I am firmly rooted, built up, established in my faith and overflowing with gratitude (Colossians 2:7).
I am called of God to be the voice of His praise (Psalm 66:8; 2 Timothy 1:9).
I am healed by the stripes of Jesus (Isaiah 53:5; 1 Peter 2:24).
I am greatly loved by God (Romans 1:7; Ephesians 2:4; Colossians 3:12; 1 Thessalonians 1:4).
I am strengthened with all might according to His glorious power (Colossians 1:11).
I am submitted to God, and the devil flees from me because I resist him in the Name of Jesus (James 4:7).

I am all these things only through Christ! Not through myself, not through what I do and DEFINITELY NOT through what I wear.  God has given us each a unique personality and style. He wants us to walk in confidence in what He has given us. God wants us to accept our body and our personality. We need to take care of what God has given us and learn to walk in boldness given by Him. As He has been working on my confidence and showing me who I am in Him, He has also shown me that it doesn't matter what I wear my identity is still firm in Christ. So next time you get dressed remember style does not define you, Christ should be the definition of your life.

Some of my style inspiration: 


So classy!


Love her Funky clothes and bright colors


Sometimes I go ninja hehehehehehe ;)

No comments: