Friday, November 15, 2013

Devotion :)

A devotion from Pastor Mark of Calvary Chapel Phoenix!

"I will boast only in the Lord; let all who are helpless take heart. Come, let us tell of the Lord's greatness; let us exalt his name together. I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me. He freed me from all my fears." Psalm 34:2-4

Fear surrounds us and at times it paralyzes. There is fear of people, fear of situations, fear of not being in control, and fear of the future. You might be asking, "What does the future hold? What does my relationship hold?" Maybe someone you know and love isn't walking with the Lord or you are praying for your parents and you wonder what will happen.

God is saying, "I don't want you captive to your fears. I will deliver you!" Because of David's fear he ran right into more danger. Because of his fear, he got himself into a much more fearful place. Do you see how fear can spiral? First, you're a little afraid, you get more afraid, and your fear continues to grow and expand.

David said, "God, I am scared!" So, God heard him and delivered him from some of his fears? No, God delivered him from all of his fears. God doesn't want you living in a state of fear.

David continues this psalm writing:

"Those who look to him for help will be radiant with joy; no shadow of shame will darken their faces. In my desperation I prayed, and the Lord listened; he saved me from all my troubles." Psalm 34:5-6

This is a great Scripture to highlight and make notations around. I'm of the opinion that a worn Bible is like a good friend. You will be able to find things when you need them and pull Scriptures like this out when you need it. If you don't want to mark in your Bible, then at least write topics down in those back empty pages—topics like fear, worry, anxiety, and joy. Put some of these things in there so when you need them they are there. This is medicine for your soul and you need to know where to find it when you need it.  

No comments: