Monday, November 25, 2013

A Time to be Thankful...

In light of Thanksgiving being right around the corner I thought it was only suiting to do a blog on being  thankful. All throughout out the scriptures it talks about the importance of being thankful yet it is one of the most forgotten items in our day. We constantly go to the Lord for things that we need, we tend to use him like a genie or a doctor. When we want/need something we Him to be our magical genie. When we have problems or need something fixed or healed we go to him like the ultimate doctor. Yes, He is the almighty healer and yes, He does fulfill our every need but there is so much more to His character than that. In everyday life we take so much  for granted and never ever take a breath to thank God for these things. I don't want anyone to feel condemned I just want to bring an awareness to this area of our life. Its something I need to tremendously work on because not only does Christ want us to show our thankfulness to Him and other but it also helps eliminate other negative aspects in our life.

1 Thessalonians 5:18
Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you

Personally when I let an ungrateful attitude rule my mind it brings up so much more. I tend to become very discontent with my life. When I am not appreciative of what I have or what i am doing in my life I loose my vertical focus on the Kingdom (Heaven) and  tend to have a horizontal focus on the world around me. Once I start looking around I start comparing other lives with my own. I get very envious of those around me. I see my friends married or getting married and I start letting that be an obsession in my mind and the only thing I want. And since I don't have that right now I think that my life is miserable. Loosing sight of everything that I have to be thankful for turns me into a nasty green-eyed monster. 

James 3:16 
For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice.

Proverbs 14:30




A tranquil heart gives life to the flesh, but envy makes the bones rot.


Having an attitude of gratitude is such a blessing, not just for you but for Christ and others around you. Being thankful changes your countenance and disposition. Instead of being down and discouraged, spread gloom and despair everywhere you go, you begging to radiate the joy of the Lord. The best witnesses for Christ are those who are facing life's trials with a song of thanksgiving on their lips.  An attitude of thanksgiving also opens the door for God to work. God hates it when we grumble and gripe...but He loves it when we praise sand give thanks. As we begin to live a life of thankfulness to God, He begins to work, even through the toughest trials and tests of faith. 

Psalm 9:1-2
"I will thank you, LORD, with all my heart; I will tell of all the marvelous things you have done. I will be filled with joy because of you. I will sing praises to your name, O Most High."

God loves to hear us. He takes great pleasure in receiving our thanks and our love. He cares so deeply  about everything that affects our lives. He wants to fill us with joy and not despair.
Not only during this time of Thanksgiving but everyday in our lives try to be thankful for all that you have. Don't let jealousness, envy, or discontentment fill your thoughts. During trials and tests, when you feel like you have nothing to be thankful for, turn to Christ and ask Him to show you specific things in your life that He has given especially to you. However, if you make an effort to be thankful everyday when those tough times come it will be easier to have a grateful heart.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!


2 comments:

mom said...

Jesus is enough! Thank you God for sending your Son!

mom said...

Jesus is enough! Thank you God for sending your Son!